I was recently running through my list of upcoming books and admiring their beautiful dresses and thought, why not share my five favorites with you guys? I swear, the covers of upcoming books are getting so amazing and so intricate I spend time studying them to see what they’ll tell me about the story. Note that these covers could change before their release, but these are what we’ve been shown so far.
5. Entwined by Heather Dixon. Set to be released March 29, 2011. It’s the story of the Twelve Dancing Princesses, which has actually been a very popular fairy tale of late. I’m assuming the girl in the dress is our star, Azalea. I love how the ivy and flowers along the border work with the dress. Everything’s so pretty and princess-like. There’s a castle in the background and what looks to be a hedge maze just in front of her. And the dress. So gorgeous. This cover is just one of my favorites. I love looking at it. And can you blame me?
4. Falling Under by Gwen Hayes. Set to be released March 1, 2011. The plot itself isn’t exactly new. Theia lives a sheltered life until she spots a boy in the school hallway she swears she knows–from her dreams. He’s devastatingly handsome and she feels compelled to him. See? Nothing new. But this cover just catches me over and over. The black background with the roses is gothic and eerie. The girl is gorgeous and the red of the dress is the pull of the whole cover. The cover is just pretty enough and just enticing enough to make me get my hands on it soon after it comes out. And even if the plot is a bit cliche, that doesn’t mean it’s not going to be good.
3. A Beautiful Dark by Jocelyn Davies. Set to be released September 27, 2011. It’s almost cruel we’re given this beautiful cover and still have to wait seven months for it to come out. I could be wrong, but the description sounds like an angels & demons story, in which case this cover makes a lot of sense. The “heavens” in the background and the way she’s dressed in pure white. I love how the writing of the cover is sort of sparkly and switches from cursive to this bold, dark print. The dress is, again, amazing. It’s different from the dresses I tend to like, which are those huge flowing 1800s style dresses. This is so simple and elegant. It’s beautiful.
2. Shattered Souls by Mary Lindsey. Set to be released December 8, 2011. Again, a thing of cruelty, showing us this dress and leaving us to wait until December. It sort of reminds me of Rachel Vincent’s My Soul to Keep books. Not only is the dress stunning, but it transforms into flower petals. When I first saw this cover, I stared at it for a while, trying to figure out what was going on. I think that’s part of the appeal. We don’t know what’s going on, so we’ll pick up the book to figure that out.
Clever. Very clever.
1. Jessica Rules the Dark Side by Beth Fantasky. Set to be released January 9, 2012. I can’t lie; this got bumped so high because I’m addicted to Jessica’s Guide to Dating on the Dark Side, the predecessor to this one. And because Beth’s books always have that little half-peek at the lead guy. I love it. And the girl is astounding. Her hair is reminiscent of Belle (the Disney Princess) and the purple of the gown totally offsets everything else. That is a princess dress if I’ve ever seen one. I’ve been dying to see a cover for this one and it’s surpassed all my expectations. If I was excited for the book before, that excitement has just multiplied tenfold.
I hope you’ve found some amazing book covers and dresses here. Have I forgotten any truly beautiful ones you think I should have added?