This is something I feel like I’m uniquely suited for? When I was in high school and saw A Walk to Remember for the first time, I fell in love with Jamie’s quote book. So I started one. It’s been something like 12 years now and I still have it (and the next 2 books I filled too). I used them every year to give my students personalized notes with advice on the front. It’s pretty awesome.
But that also makes this so much harder because how do I choose?! I’ll do my best, though, and just pick 10 that are moving me at the moment.
Top Ten Favorite Book Quotes
1. “You crushed us to build your monarchy on the backs of our blood and bone. Your mistake wasn’t keeping us alive. It was thinking we’d never fight back.” -Tomi Adeyemi, Children of Blood and Bone
2. “I am always surprised to discover that when the world seems darkest, there exists the greatest opportunity for light.” -Brigid Kemmerer, A Curse So Dark and Lonely
3. “Parents have this twisted belief that anyone under the age of about twenty simply can’t know what love is, like the age of love is assessed in the same way the law assesses the legal age to drink. They think that the ’emotional growth’ of a teenager’s mind is too underdeveloped to understand love, to know if it’s ‘real’ or not. That’s completely asinine. The truth is that adults love in different ways, not the only way.” -J.A. Redmerski, The Edge of Never
4. “It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.” -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice
5. “We are a country built by immigrants, dreams, daring, and opportunity. We are a country built by the horrors of slavery and genocide, the injustice of racism and exclusion. These realities exist side by side. It is our past and our present. The future is unwritten. This is a book about ghosts. For we live in a haunted house.” -Libba Bray, Before the Devil Breaks You
6. “I gave up on being Nice. I started putting more value on other qualities instead: passion, bravery, intelligence, practicality, humor, patience, fairness, sensitivity. Those last three might seem like they are covered by “nice,” but make no mistake, they are not. A person who smiles a lot and remembers everyone’s birthday can turn out to be undercover crazy, a compulsive thief, and boring to boot. I don’t put a lot of stock in nice. I’d prefer to be around people who have any of the above qualities over ‘niceness,’ and I’d prefer it if that applied to me, too.” -Anna Kendrick, Scrappy Little Nobody
7. “No one ever injured an eye by looking at the bright side.” -Stacey Lee, Under a Painted Sky
8. “There are different kinds of darkness. There is the darkness that frightens, the darkness that soothes, the darkness that is restful. There is the darkness of lovers, and the darkness of assassins. It becomes what the bearer wishes it to be, needs it to be. It is not wholly bad or good.” -Sarah J. Maas, A Court of Mist and Fury
9. “Stories may well be lies, but they are good lies that say true things, and which can sometimes pay the rent.” -Neil Gaiman
10. “Just because a person isn’t talking about something doesn’t mean it’s not on their mind. Often, in fact, it’s why they won’t speak of it.” -Sarah Dessen, Saint Anything
So it appears I was quite pensive as I went through this tonight. Maybe some day I’ll make a list of 10 funny quotes from books. That might be fun!